The Mey hanger cycle
Mey employs the principle of optimising the use of resources as best possible. An innovative and successful example is our “Swabian Boomerang”, which received the German Environmental Award in 1998. The hanger cycle system also secures workplaces in the region. At the Lebenshilfe Zollernalb Workshops in Bisingen and Albstadt as well as Mariaberger Heime in Gammertingen, reconditioning the Mey hangers provides steady employment for 40 people with disabilities.
The eco-friendly hanger cycle was launched in 1997
The idea to economise on conventional single-use bodywear hangers became a reality. In collaboration with its suppliers, Mey developed a robust and flexible reusable hanger and convinced retailers to send them back to the company free of charge.
The idea received the environmental award “Eco-product of the Year” in 1998
The idea for and introduction of the hanger cycle “Swabian boomerang” received such positive feedback that it was distinguished with the “Eco-product of the Year” award the following year.
Our hanger cycle celebrated its 20th anniversary in 2017
That is a source of great pride for us! Mey has already forgone the use of single-use hangers for 20 years. Every hanger can be used up to six times before it is recycled into new plastic granules. As a result, we have conserved plastic and resources for decades.
The return rate of our hangers over the last ten years has been approximately 65%. With the system, Mey conserves approximately 30 tonnes of waste every year compared to single-use hanger systems. The high return rate makes the system worthwhile from an economic standpoint as well.
How does the hanger cycle work?
- The hangers are sent to shops fitted with garments.
- The hangers are then collected in the shops and sent back to Mey with DPD or DHL at no charge to the customer (minimum package weight: 5kg).
- The hangers are checked, cleaned, sorted and rebundled at the Zollernalb Workshops and Mariaberger Heime, which are institutions that provide job opportunities for people with disabilities.
- From there, the reconditioned hangers find their way back to Mey.
- We attach new garments to the hangers and send them back to our customers.